Where This Meets That
I hope everyone stateside had a wonderful Independence Day yesterday. Not many fireworks happened around us; we had a soggy, soggy 4th!
Anyway, here are five supercool chemistry GIFs nearly guaranteed to momentarily astound you.
1. Have you ever wondered what happens when you burn mercury thiocyanate? Me neither, though I am pretty sure I ran from it in a dream once.
2. How about heating up some 4-Nitroaniline? Looks a bit like the “snake tablets” that might have stained your driveway during yesterday’s front yard fireworks display.
3. How gnarly is it to watch a flammable gas burning in a big glass bottle? Pretty darn gnarly (as long as it’s someone else’s hand doing the lighting!)
4. What does exponential growth look like? Pour some water in a glass of sodium polyacrylate, and find out. Or, just watch this.
5. And finally, meet ferrofluids, magnetic liquids. Crazy cool!
Also be sure to check out these other great Friday GIFs!
Have a great weekend, Everybody!