Where This Meets That
I’ve been sitting on this Friday Five ever since I saw The Avengers, hoping I’d get some time to doctor up some nice, funny photos. Alas, this one got lost in the shuffle, so as tribute to The Dark Knight trilogy, I might as well go ahead and offer up what I’ve got so far.
Here are five superpowers I’d love to have, if I ever got to choose.
Feel free to pile on with any superpowers you would choose in Comments at the bottom.
1) Flying – Probably the most elemental human dream. I know it’s mine. What better feeling of freedom from the world than simply leaping into the air to reach the sky? And what better way to liberate the free world from a giant mindless monster bent on destroying civilization under the command of a vastly inferior overlord than to fly in one ear and out the other at the speed of sound with a telephone pole as a lance?
2) Strength – Of course, to pull said telephone pole out of the ground – much less fly with it at the speed of sound – you need strength. It would be cool to be strong. Like, without having to work for it.
3) Gills – Like flying but underwater. I went snorkeling off Puerto Rico in summer before 8th grade and swam over the rim of a reef beyond which was just deep, bluish black. What a vulnerable feeling that was, hanging up there silhouetted against a blue sun for God-knows-what hungry sea-beast to come up and feast upon. It would’ve been nice to scrap my snorkle and dive a little deeper, knowing I had the strength to take on whatever aquatic foe I found.
4) Enhanced Vision – OK, with this one, I’m going to cheat and combine X-ray and telescopic vision, because at this point I can do that. Try to take that right from me, and I can defeat you by air or sea or brute power.
5) Telekinesis – I would love to do things with my mind. Like, real things, beyond just thinking about doing things. If I was good enough at it, I could mentally do most of what I’ve listed above with the ease most people play a video game.
How about you? What would you choose from a grab bag of superpowers?